[choreonoid-users 00003] Re: Does it support Force Sensor?

Shin'ichiro Nakaoka s.nakaoka at aist.go.jp
Mon Oct 21 12:12:21 JST 2013

Hello Luis,

> Does choreonoid support force sensor (used for ZMP stabilization) as
> OpenHRP3? If yes, how can i access it from the simulator?

Yes, Choreonoid supports basic sensors including force sensors.
If a robot model has force sensors and you select "Create Default Port"
in the property view of the BodyRTCItem, the BodyRTCItem creates the
ports correspinding to the sensor outputs. The names of the ports are
like "forcesensor", "gsensor", "gyrometer". The remaining thing to do is
to connect ports of your controller RTC to those ports to get the sensor
outputs.

The connection can be done in a variety of ways such as using the RT
System Editor, but currently Chreonoid itself does not provides good
fucntions to do that. One of the functions is that if you enable the
"Auto Connect" option of a BodyRTCItem and specify "Controller module
name", the item setup the controller module (RTC) and connect the ports
of the BodyRTC and the controller RTC in such a way that an in-port and
an out-port with the same name are connected. So if your controller RTC
has an in-port with name "forcesensor", it is connected to the BodyRTC's
forcesensor outport.

Another way to do the connection by Choreonoid is to write a config
file. Example of this are the "PA10Pickup" and "OpenRTM-TankJoystick"
samples. In the "lib/choreonoid-1.4/rtc" directory, there are
"PA10Pickup.conf" and "TankJoystic.conf". When you specify "Use
Configuration File" for the "Configuration mode" property of a
BodyRTCItem, a config file which has the same basename with the
controller RTC module is read to setup the port creation and connection.
The format of the conf files is the same as that of OpenHRP3's
ControllerBridge conf files. Please see
http://www.openrtp.jp/openhrp3/en/controller_bridge.html to know the
details of the format.

However, those way of setup is a kind of quick job, and I'd like to
provide better functions in the next version of Choreonoid.

> Can I edit models inside the choreonoid?

No, Choreonoid does not provide such a function.
I'd like to acheive this in the future, too.
I think it's not so diificult to write such a function,
and I'm glad if someone tries to develop it.

--
Shin'ichiro Nakaoka <s.nakaoka at aist.go.jp>